“Shiner,” the mayor of Chattapoochee Dog Park, is helping Duluth Mayor Nancy Harris promote her upcoming State of the City Address.
The Duluth Civitan Club will present the 8th annual City of Duluth’s State of the City Address Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2013 at the Gwinnett Center, 6400 Sugarloaf Pkwy. This year’s address has a “Duluth Local” theme and will again include a Business Expo.
The Business Expo begins at 11 a.m. Doors open for lunch at 11:30 a.m. Admission is $25 including lunch. Tables for eight are available for $175. $10 of the admission cost is tax-deductible.
Go to www.DuluthStateoftheCity.org for more information and to make your reservation. You may reserve your seat or table at the website or phone 678-475-3522. Payments should be made payable and mailed to: Duluth Civitan Club, P.O. Box 1181, Duluth, GA 30096. Deadline to order tickets is Jan. 18.
Proceeds from the event are used to support Civitan-sponsored charitable organizations.
In preparation for the address, Mayor Harris and Shiner have been taking an inventory of what Duluth has to offer its citizens by visiting local businesses, schools, parks, and civic organizations within the city limits.
If the mayors missed visiting you, and you would like the opportunity to be highlighted along with other organizations and businesses in Duluth, the city is sponsoring a “Flat Shiner” photo contest.
There are four categories in the photo contest. Winners of each category will receive two free tickets to the State of the City Address.
1. Who Knew? Are you, or do you know of a business, organization or public space in the Duluth City Limits that is a well-kept secret. Or maybe it’s been around forever, just started, or does something that is unique. Let us know about it.
2. Dog/Pet Friendly: This is Mayor Shiner’s favorite category. Tell us about how you promote pet friendliness. Maybe it’s not obvious, so clue everyone in!
3. Local Supporter: Are you a Duluth citizen or business who tries to back local businesses through patronage and referrals. Show us what makes you so special!
4. Most creative photo with Flat Shiner: Creatively pose Flat Shiner in a way that highlights a business, organization or Duluth public space.
Just print off the “Flat Shiner” and take his picture in a way that highlights the purpose of your organization or business. You can check out www.duluthga.net to see some examples of photos. Entries should be submitted via email to email@example.com no later than Monday, Jan. 14, 2013. Please include the following information along with your picture:
- Your Name and relationship to the establishment
- Purpose of Business or Organization
- How many years the business or organization has been in the City of Duluth
- Name(s) of people in the photograph
- A brief (50-word max) description of what makes you unique (Who Knew?), Dog/pet friendly, or a Local supporter. No description is necessary if just entering for “Most Creative Photo”
Examples of photos and the “Flat Shiner” are attached to this article.