A partial list of official city events was adopted by the Duluth City Council at its Feb. 11 meeting. The list includes a new Beerfest Duluth: Brews and Tunes event on June 1. Most events will occur on the Duluth Town Green and at the Duluth Festival Center.
The following are scheduled events so far:
- April 26, 2013 ‐ Flicks on the Bricks
- May 10‐12, 2013 ‐ Barefoot in the Park Fine Arts Festival (City Co‐Sponsored Event) *Licensed Merchant Zone/Main Street Closure
- May 17, 2013 - Flicks on the Bricks
- May 18, 2013 - Duluth Historical Society Walking Garden Tour (City Co‐Sponsored Event)
- May 24, 2013 - Flicks on the Bricks
- May 25, 2013 - Memorial Day Service
- June 01, 2013 - BeerFest Duluth: Brews and Tunes (City Co‐Sponsored Event)
- June 08, 2013 - Duluth Idol Competition *Open Zone
- June 13, 2013 ‐ No Reason Block Party (potential Taste of Duluth) *Licensed Merchant Zone
- July 03, 2013 ‐ Duluth Celebrates America at Scott Hudgens Park (Alcohol allowed)
- July 26, 2013 - Summer Stage Concert *Open Zone
- September 05, 2013 ‐ No Reason Block Party (potential Chili Cook-off) *Open Zone
- September 14, 2013 ‐ Fall Festival Concert (City Co‐Sponsored Event) *Open Zone
- September 27‐29, 2013 ‐ Fall Festival (City Co‐Sponsored Event) *Licensed Merchant Zone/Main Street and West Lawrenceville Street Closure
- October 26, 2013 ‐ Halloween on the Green *Open Zone
- December 07, 2013 ‐ Tree Lighting (City Co‐Sponsored Event)
- December 31, 2013 ‐ New Year's Eve Crawl *Open Zone
“This is not everything yet,” said Alisa Williams, director of public information and marketing for the city. Brian Bentley, the city’s new events coordinator, is in the process of adding more events to the list, including a third No Reason Block Party, she said.
City Manager Tim Shearer added that city staff is “kicking around ideas” for new events that the community would enjoy.
Alcoholic beverages will be permitted only for events or portions of events denoted with an Open Zone or Licensed Merchant Zone designation. Events for which downtown streets will be closed also are indicated.
“Open Zone” will allow alcohol to be purchased from licensed merchants within the downtown area and carried out as well as allow coolers containing alcoholic beverages to be brought into the event.
“Licensed Merchant Zone” only allows alcohol to be purchased from the downtown licensed merchants and carried out into the downtown area.
The new designations replace and clarify the former “red zone” designation.