Here are some tips to protect your home from burglars if you are traveling over the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays.
Precautions you can take:
- Burglars search for homes that appear to be unoccupied. Leave your car in the driveway, set timers for your lights, leave a television on
- Stop newspaper and mail delivery
- Have a neighbor watch over your home
Burglars want to spend no more than 60 seconds breaking into a home, these could change their minds.
- Deadbolt locks, pins in locking windows
Don't give burglars any help:
- Clear shrubs and trees to keep windows visible
- Secure tool sheds and ladders
- Some thieves use tools to assist them in breaking windows
This first appeared in the Ft. Bragg Patch. The tips are courtesy of the community's Cumberland County Sheriff's Office, but Duluth Patch is publishing it as the advice is relevant for any homeowner.