An emergency crew from Atlanta Gas Light stopped a natural gas leak in the 4800 block of High Forest Drive in Duluth about 10:58 p.m. Tuesday (May 15).
Gwinnett firefighters responded at 8:05 p.m. to a report of a gas leak in the neighborhood and detected a strong odor of natural gas and a leak from a two-inch service line.
Eight residents of four homes were evacuated and then allowed to return after the line was repaired and the situation was safely under control. No injuries were reported.
The leak was caused by a contracting crew working on the sewer system, according to Gwinnett Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge.
Firefighters continuously monitored gas readings in the area and deployed a hoseline on the ground to protect gas company workers and nearby exposures, Rutledge said.
High Forest Drive was closed temporariy. The street was reopened after the gas line repair was completed.