How to Avoid Getting the Flu
Follow these tips from Gwinnett Medical Center to help reduce your chances of getting and spreading the flu virus.
- Take time to get the flu vaccine. October to March is the official flu season. Everyone 6 months and older is encouraged to be vaccinated. Click here to find out where flu shots are available in the Duluth area. Call ahead to check since shortages have been reported.
- Be alert to flu-like symptoms, such as coughing, sore throat, aches and fever. Stay home if you experience any of these symptoms. It’s especially important to not visit the hospital.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If a tissue isn’t available, use the crease of your elbow to cover your mouth.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Wear a mask if you have the cold or flu to help prevent the spread.
Do you have your own tips for surviving flu season? Tell us in the comments section below.