Duluth’s Parsons family was honored for 87 years of retail service in the city recently by the Duluth City Council. Parsons, which was founded in Duluth in 1925 by Calvin and Kate Parsons, has continued to have a presence in the city.
Mayor Nancy Harris presented a plaque to family members recognizing the Parsons tradition of old-fashioned, friendly service at the July 9 council meeting.
Parsons Gifts & Cards, the last Parsons store in Duluth located in the Duluth Station shopping center, is closing at the end of July and moving to 1500 Peachtree Industrial Blvd. in the Suwanee Jubilee shopping center. The new store will be located in Suwanee just beyond the Duluth city limits.
Mayor Harris gave the plaque to Carey and Patsy Odum, owners of the Duluth store. Their landlord sold the building where the store is located to a Norcross church. Due to an Aug. 1 deadline to vacate the building, space needs and other factors, the only suitable space immediately available was in Suwanee.
Other Parsons family members own and operate Parsons Gifts in Lakeland Plaza in Cumming and North Point Village in Alpharetta as well as Parsons Gallery in Cumming. Kathryn Willis assured everyone that “our hearts are still in Duluth.”