Duluth Train Depot Reopens at Railway Museum
State and local officials along with visitors to the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth celebrated the grand opening of the restored 1871 Duluth Train Depot Sunday, Sept. 18.
For 140 years the building served the Duluth community in several capacities including a cotton shipping point, a passenger depot, an office for a major development, a police substation, and an office for the city parks and recreation staff.
Originally located downtown and after being relocated several times, the depot has finally come to rest overlooking the active railway tracks at the entrance to the Southeastern Railway Museum, Georgia’s Official Transportation History Museum, located at 3595 Buford Highway. Click here to visit the museum website.
The depot was originally built by a predecessor of the Southern Railway, part of today’s Norfolk Southern Corp.