Art Majors Can Apply for Scholarships
High school seniors planning to major in art invited to apply online at Duluth Fine Arts League website.
The Duluth Fine Arts League is providing three scholarships for deserving high school seniors who will be majoring in the fine arts in the fall of 2013.
Scholarships will be awarded to the first, second and third place students in the amounts of $2,500, $1,500 and $1,000, respectively, DFAL Scholarship Co-chairman Mary Buck announced. Lucille Walker also is serving as scholarship co-chaiman.
The deadline to submit applications is 6 p.m. Saturday, March 30. Interviews and talent performances are scheduled Sunday, April 28 from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Red Clay Theater in downtown Duluth. Auditions will be in front of a live audience and a panel of professional judges. The audition is mandatory, and re-schedules will not be allowed.
Students will be invited to the audition based on their applications and essays. Judging will be based on their performances and interviews.
Here are the application requirements:
- Applicant must be a high school senior planning on majoring in the fine arts at a college or university in the fall of 2013.
- The student must attend Duluth High School or any other high school as long as he/she lives in Duluth with a zip code of 30096 or 30097.
- Student must be a U.S. citizen.
Fine arts categories for scholarship applications are:
- Music including choral, instrumental, strings, brass, woodwinds, piano and percussion.
- Visual arts including art, graphic arts, and photography.
- Performing arts including theater and dance.
Applications may be submitted online at http://duluthfineartsleague.org. Late entries or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Proof of college acceptance must be submitted to DFAL by April 26.